Before you move into a new home, there are a few things you can do that will make your move much more pleasant. New homeowners tend to overlook some of these simple steps in the excitement of buying a new home and packing everything up from their old home. These are things to do before you start bring your first boxes over to the new place.
- Have all utilities turned on ahead of time. This includes electricity, water and gas. You will want internet and cable too if you plan on staying in the new place right away.
- Go to the new home and turn on the air conditioning (or heater if it is winter) ahead of time. You will thank yourself later if you are moving into a place that is nice and cool already.
- Pack a box that has toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water and snacks. Take this box on your very first trip to the new place. These are items you will not want to find yourself suddenly needing but not having.
- Have the phone number to a local delivery place (think pizza or Chinese food). You will not feel like cooking after a long day of moving.
- Forward your mail to your new address. You can do this online or through your local post office. This is especially important if you are no longer living at your old address.
- Write down your new address and give it to important people – your parents/siblings/children, employer, friends, etc. It is a good idea to put your new address in your phone or somewhere easily accessible. You might draw a blank when asked for your new address and want to be able to provide it quickly (such as when ordering delivery food or giving someone the address for directions).
Doing these simple things will help make life easier for you as you move.